HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil 2 remake talk...
Today at 12:06 am by White Rock

» Resident Evil 6 (The Final Chapter)
Yesterday at 8:31 pm by Bulls-3ye

» Your thoughts on the "Not a Hero" and "End of Zoe" DLC!
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 am by White Rock

» BAD NEWS
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:43 am by White Rock

» Complete Series Playthrough Guide
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:33 am by White Rock

» Thoughts on the RE Anderson Movies
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:27 am by White Rock

» Biohaze has moderators that aren't the full shilling...
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:16 am by White Rock

» Resident Evil 2: Survivors (Out Now)
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 pm by DeathShadows

» What has happen??
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 am by Bulls-3ye

Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
Bulls-3ye
 
White Rock
 
Ghost Leader
 
PWNERX
 

Share | 
 

 Favorite Anime?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Lightning Count
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
avatar

Playstation Network LightningCamaro
Posts : 84
Join date : 2012-12-31
Age : 32
Location : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 am

Berserk, I still need to see the newer movies.
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mcghie
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
avatar

Steam : BioDeamz
Posts : 2027
Join date : 2011-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Edinburgh, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 am

Lightning Count wrote:
Berserk, I still need to see the newer movies.

Only watched the first few episodes of the anime a few years ago, need
to get back and watch it again it was pretty much decent.
The game was superior though, one of my favorite games for the Dreamcast, I lost the disk a long time ago but still got the jewel case for it lol.
That reminds me, I really have to get a ISO of the game and rip it onto a CD, getting mad cravings for it now haha !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZombiePrincess
Zombie
Zombie
avatar

Playstation Network MisfitSilentts
Posts : 688
Join date : 2009-10-07
Age : 23
Location : My Love's Bed

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Vandal wrote:
Y'know what? I noticed all the shows I really like aren't long. I like animes that are practically embarrassed to be around. Trigun, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, they're no more than 26 episodes long.

FLCL was such an amazing anime.

Case Closed is my all time favorite but it has 732 episodes and counting and not all are in English.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKidsInYourCorner
Mcghie
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
avatar

Steam : BioDeamz
Posts : 2027
Join date : 2011-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Edinburgh, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:04 am

Speaking of Anime I've just started watching Archer (on the 4th series as of now)
and I don't know how I've never watched this before, I missed it when it was on adultswim.
It has got to be one of the funniest shows I've seen in a while.
Plus H. Jon Benjamin's voice acting is outstanding, he has really got a awesome voice, really
loved bob's burgers when that was one as well, that was yet another hilarious comedy anime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4468
Join date : 2008-12-20
Age : 34
Location : Rockfort Hills, Los Santos

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 am

Mcghie wrote:
Speaking of Anime I've just started watching Archer (on the 4th series as of now)
and I don't know how I've never watched this before, I missed it when it was on adultswim.
It has got to be one of the funniest shows I've seen in a while.
Archer isn't anime and has never been on Adult Swim.

_________________
PerseusRad wrote:
halestride wrote:

PerseusRad wrote:
There are Fireworks outside, but I can't see them very well.

then go outside.

thats crazy talk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voltius
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
avatar

Posts : 162
Join date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:14 pm

- Pokemon Seasons 1-3 (after misty leaves I don't like it)
- Cowboy Bebop (God what a masterpiece)
- Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PAULSAMSON
Umbrella Security Service
Umbrella Security Service
avatar

Playstation Network DARIOC2013
Posts : 1726
Join date : 2011-01-19
Age : 28
Location : Argentina

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
Mcghie wrote:
Speaking of Anime I've just started watching Archer (on the 4th series as of now)
and I don't know how I've never watched this before, I missed it when it was on adultswim.
It has got to be one of the funniest shows I've seen in a while.
Archer isn't anime and has never been on Adult Swim.

maybe it was on britain's adult swim?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4468
Join date : 2008-12-20
Age : 34
Location : Rockfort Hills, Los Santos

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:40 am

PAULSAMSON wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:
Mcghie wrote:
Speaking of Anime I've just started watching Archer (on the 4th series as of now)
and I don't know how I've never watched this before, I missed it when it was on adultswim.
It has got to be one of the funniest shows I've seen in a while.
Archer isn't anime and has never been on Adult Swim.

maybe it was on britain's adult swim?
No, it's only ever aired on FX.

_________________
PerseusRad wrote:
halestride wrote:

PerseusRad wrote:
There are Fireworks outside, but I can't see them very well.

then go outside.

thats crazy talk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vandal
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4864
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 26
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 pm

At any rate, you'll have to go for a long stretch to consider Archer an anime. Anime is usually always from Japan. I still wouldn't consider Teen Titans or Avatar an anime for example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mcghie
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
avatar

Steam : BioDeamz
Posts : 2027
Join date : 2011-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Edinburgh, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:

Archer isn't anime and has never been on Adult Swim.

Archer is anime, even Pixar and Disney films can be considered anime.  
People get so hung up on anime being Japanese only and having a certain style to it but anime
is short for animation.
Any cartoon or CGI based work is considered anime, even if people associate Anime being Japanese only.
Which is in fact only a western term for the style of animation with a Japanese style because
the correct term for anime/manga in Japan is Shōnen or Shōjo
(although the terms describe the style of the anime/manga and it's target audience (male or female) they roughly get used so that you know the person is talking
about anime/manga).
You almost never hear a native Japanese person call anime "Japanese anime"
They usually loosely call it Shōnen, unless of course it's a Japanese person that is living in a western country.
*sources - Been to Japanese a good few times and have many Japanese friends that are over here to study at University*

I was mistaken about Archer being on Adult Swim, I always thought I watched it on AS.
I might have been getting confused because of Adam Reeds Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo being on Adult Swim.
I'm still sure I never watch Archer on FX though, I'm pretty sure it was aired on another channel here in the UK.
Any UK archer fans on here feel free to correct me.
I have a feeling it might have been E4 or Channel 5, not sure though, was a while ago since I saw my first episode of it on TV.
I only really started putting time into watching all the series a short while back but I streamed them.
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vandal
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4864
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 26
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:00 am

There's no way you can consider Disney or Pixar anime. Anime by definition is exclusively Japanese.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
avatar

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction
Posts : 12901
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 27
Location : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:04 am

While anime is indeed short of animation it's still commonly used to refer Japanese animation, as opposed to the western animation that is commonly labeled as cartoons.

_________________
~The Weapon of Mass Distraction~

COMMUNITY:
Resident Evil Forums Facebook: [link]
Resident Evil Forums Steam Group: [link]
Come check my Let's Plays: [link]

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://colmillos.deviantart.com/
Mcghie
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
avatar

Steam : BioDeamz
Posts : 2027
Join date : 2011-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Edinburgh, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:36 pm

I take it no one took in my long winded comment ?
Although here in the west we refer to anime being exclusive the way Japanese cartoons are
and we call our own "anime" cartoons it is not a defined term for ONLY Japanese animation.
It is more of universal acknowledge, if you will.
By definition anything cartoon or CGI related is anime, wherever we call it anime or not.
Also I would like to point out again that Japanese don't even refer to it as anime, they call there own anime/manga Shōnen or Shōjo.
Although I agree with you all because I exclusive call Japanese anime, anime rather than
a cartoon and don't call western animation "anime", it still is and can be referred to as anime.
My main point was to get across that it's either or, there is no right or wrong.
Yes it would sound strange and people would get confused if you where referring to a western cartoon as anime (unless you have stated the name of said cartoon)
but that is just because of cultural normality's, it is not literal however.

P.S - Pixar and Disney used to formerly get mentioned as "A pixar animation" or "A Disney animation", or "An animation from Pixar/Disney",
especially in advertisement (word based or media based a like).  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
waffelz
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
avatar

Posts : 18
Join date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:26 pm

I really liked Fullmetal Alchemist the original and Brotherhood, I found the story just too epic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
avatar

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction
Posts : 12901
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 27
Location : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Mcghie wrote:
I take it no one took in my long winded comment ?
Although here in the west we refer to anime being exclusive the way Japanese cartoons are
and we call our own "anime" cartoons it is not a defined term for ONLY Japanese animation.
It is more of universal acknowledge, if you will.
By definition anything cartoon or CGI related is anime, wherever we call it anime or not.
Also I would like to point out again that Japanese don't even refer to it as anime, they call there own anime/manga Shōnen or Shōjo.
Although I agree with you all because I exclusive call Japanese anime, anime rather than
a cartoon and don't call western animation "anime", it still is and can be referred to as anime.
My main point was to get across that it's either or, there is no right or wrong.
Yes it would sound strange and people would get confused if you where referring to a western cartoon as anime (unless you have stated the name of said cartoon)
but that is just because of cultural normality's, it is not literal however.

P.S - Pixar and Disney used to formerly get mentioned as "A pixar animation" or "A Disney animation", or "An animation from Pixar/Disney",
especially in advertisement (word based or media based a like).  

I did read it. It's just what people in general tend to refer to as what. I've never heard anyone refer to, for example, Spongebob Squarepants as "anime". Everyone says "cartoon". None of us are Japanese so there's not going to be any misunderstanding on that part. Have you ever heard someone ask someone "Hey, did you see that Lion King anime?"

As a side point, shonen and shojo aren't the only genres in anime/manga. Because that's what they are, genres. "For boys" and "for girls" in this case. We don't have these kinds of words in the English language and thus we call our cartoons "boys' shows" and "girls' shows" but very rarely do you hear them being referred to as such in general.

I get your point but this is just a westerner's point of view on the whole "anime" deal. And, since we live in a western world (most of us anyway) an anime thread most likely refers to Japanese animation. That's why we have a seperate cartoon thread.

_________________
~The Weapon of Mass Distraction~

COMMUNITY:
Resident Evil Forums Facebook: [link]
Resident Evil Forums Steam Group: [link]
Come check my Let's Plays: [link]

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://colmillos.deviantart.com/
Vandal
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4864
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 26
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

Also there's a Powerpuff Girls anime floating around.

Now, when you just read that, what was the first thing that came to mind? The Powerpuff Girls made by Craig McCraken made in America? Or if you were familiar with it, Powerpuff Girls Z, which was made in Japan with the anime art style?

Powerpuff Girls is not an anime. Powerpuff Girls Z is an anime.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mcghie
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
avatar

Steam : BioDeamz
Posts : 2027
Join date : 2011-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Edinburgh, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Vandal wrote:
Also there's a Powerpuff Girls anime floating around.

Now, when you just read that, what was the first thing that came to mind? The Powerpuff Girls made by Craig McCraken made in America? Or if you were familiar with it, Powerpuff Girls Z, which was made in Japan with the anime art style?

Powerpuff Girls is not an anime. Powerpuff Girls Z is an anime.
]

Well to be fair and perfectly honest, nothing really came to mind.
When I was a few words into your paragraph my attention was diverted to the images, I then seen what the Japanese title looked like (artstyle wise).
If someone had started off by the saying the Japanese anime version of the Powerpuff girls then I would visual it in a Japanese anime style.
However if someone started talking about the original American series but was calling it anime it would not confuse me,
nor would it have me thinking of traditional Japanese anime as they have already started talking about key characteristics of the American version.
The reason being because it is down to detail, it's like if someone is being vague but using some familiar connections to something your mind already works out.
Take spelling for example, someone could have terrible grammar or spelling but when you are reading their comment your brain will most likely
read back and understand the word or phrase they are meaning (can't remember the scientific name for this, sorry).
The same with if someone was calling an American anime, simply anime.
would not make a blind bit of difference and also it would not matter as if you are talking from a literal point of view then both are animations, so therefore both are anime.
Here is a quote from earlier I've already used.
This should help settle any further confusing and help others become a little in sighted towards my point of view.

"Although I agree with you all because I exclusive call Japanese anime, anime rather than
a cartoon and don't call western animation "anime", it still is and can be referred to as anime.
My main point was to get across that it's either or, there is no right or wrong."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4468
Join date : 2008-12-20
Age : 34
Location : Rockfort Hills, Los Santos

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Mcghie wrote:
By definition anything cartoon or CGI related is anime, wherever we call it anime or not.
By definition, you're wrong.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anime
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Anime?s=t

As you can see, "anime" is in the English dictionary and has an established definition of its own, that being a style of animation originating from Japan. So like it or not, anime is not an umbrella word and doesn't describe American animation, like Archer and Disney, unless it's animated in the anime style.

_________________
PerseusRad wrote:
halestride wrote:

PerseusRad wrote:
There are Fireworks outside, but I can't see them very well.

then go outside.

thats crazy talk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mcghie
Spec Ops
Spec Ops
avatar

Steam : BioDeamz
Posts : 2027
Join date : 2011-03-22
Age : 25
Location : Edinburgh, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
Mcghie wrote:
By definition anything cartoon or CGI related is anime, wherever we call it anime or not.
By definition, you're wrong.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anime
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Anime?s=t

As you can see, "anime" is in the English dictionary and has an established definition of its own, that being a style of animation originating from Japan. So like it or not, anime is not an umbrella word and doesn't describe American animation, like Archer and Disney, unless it's animated in the anime style.

"1980s: Japanese, shortened from animēshon, based on English animation"
Shortened term taking from the English word "Animation"

Animation - The technique of photographing successive drawings or positions of puppets or models to create an illusion of movement when the film is shown as a sequence:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/animation?q=animation

If Anime is an adoption of the word Animation (actually it's not adopted, it's just shortened) and Animation is a (look at the defition above).
Then the whole process of it is ANIMATION.
So once again I will quote something I've already previously said.

"Although I agree with you all because I exclusive call Japanese anime, anime rather than
a cartoon and don't call western animation "anime", it still is and can be referred to as anime.
My main point was to get across that it's either or, there is no right or wrong."

Furthermore, American and Japanese anime do not differ in technique so they ARE animated in the "Anime" style.
They only differ in the drawing technique (style of art and how it looks).
Process is still the same however as both are created equally and are both animations.

Also to add on top of it all at the beginning I never said Archer was anime.
I was making an on going subject about anime and afterwards I said "speaking of anime"
I wasn't indicating that I was meaning Archer was Japanese anime, I was referring to whilst we where on the anime/cartoon/animation subject etc.
Since it shares a common denominator with the topical subject.  
So apologies if it was misleading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4468
Join date : 2008-12-20
Age : 34
Location : Rockfort Hills, Los Santos

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Mcghie wrote:
"1980s: Japanese, shortened from animēshon, based on English animation"
Shortened term taking from the English word "Animation"

Animation - The technique of photographing successive drawings or positions of puppets or models to create an illusion of movement when the film is shown as a sequence:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/animation?q=animation

If Anime is an adoption of the word Animation (actually it's not adopted, it's just shortened) and Animation is a (look at the defition above).
Then the whole process of it is ANIMATION.
You're glazing over the fact that "anime" is in the dictionary with its own definition, separate from "animation".

": a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes"

Quote :
Furthermore, American and Japanese anime do not differ in technique so they ARE animated in the "Anime" style.
They only differ in the drawing technique (style of art and how it looks).
Process is still the same however as both are created equally and are both animations.
Yes, the drawing technique, aka "anime style': a style of animation originating from Japan, as per the dictionary definition of the word "anime". No one is claiming anime isn't animation. Anime is indeed animation, but not all animation is anime. GitS, Fullmetal, Space Dandy, and Gundam are anime. Bugs Bunny, South Park, Toy Story, and Cars are animated, but they aren't anime because they aren't animated in the Japanese visual style.

Quote :
Also to add on top of it all at the beginning I never said Archer was anime.
Yes, you did, on this very page of this topic. Everyone read it. Go back and look at a post of yours that begins with, and I quote, "Archer is anime".

_________________
PerseusRad wrote:
halestride wrote:

PerseusRad wrote:
There are Fireworks outside, but I can't see them very well.

then go outside.

thats crazy talk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vandal
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 4864
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 26
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Anime comes from the word animation but refers to Japanese animation. If you disagree with that, then you're simply wrong. No one in the history in forever calls Snow White an anime.

Technique-wise, you can call anything animation. After all, film is just 24 consecutive pictures being played in one second in succession of each other to form movement of models—or actors—to create the illusion of movement, but you just can't call Fight Club an anime.

Western and Japanese animation doesn't differ in technique which is again drawing after drawing being played to create movement, but the style is undoubtably different. There's a difference between style and technique.




These are both done with the same technique, ink on paper. The styles are completely different. Just like animation, it's just pictures moving across a timeline, but the styles are different. If you continue to refuse the dictionary definition of anime then you're just wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZombiePrincess
Zombie
Zombie
avatar

Playstation Network MisfitSilentts
Posts : 688
Join date : 2009-10-07
Age : 23
Location : My Love's Bed

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 pm

A few days ago I bought the animated series they did for Supernatural. Does that count?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKidsInYourCorner
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
avatar

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction
Posts : 12901
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 27
Location : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 am

ZombiePrincess wrote:
A few days ago I bought the animated series they did for Supernatural. Does that count?

Yep. It's even called "Supernatural: The Anime Series". The DVD extras were pretty sweet and I liked Ackles and Padalecki's episode introductions.

_________________
~The Weapon of Mass Distraction~

COMMUNITY:
Resident Evil Forums Facebook: [link]
Resident Evil Forums Steam Group: [link]
Come check my Let's Plays: [link]

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://colmillos.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Favorite Anime?   

Back to top Go down
 
Favorite Anime?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Similar topics
-
» Anime Mới Sưu Tập
» Anime Ex Lovers (Full Review)
» Favorite member of Pentatonix?
» Anime Tuyển Chọn - Chậm Chắc - Đảm bảo không hối tiếc.
» Anime PH: Back-to-School Promo

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Others :: Off Topic :: Television-
Jump to: